SPOILER ALERT!! Just in case I start to ramble and don't realize I just spoiled something that I didn't mean too.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Donkey Kong Country Returns Review




Donkey Kong Country Returns is a fantastic revisit to one of Nintendo’s greatest Super Nintendo games, Donkey Kong Country. The developers, Retro Studios,  take the DK formula that Rare created and perfects it into what is almost the perfect game. The graphics are some of the best I’ve seen on the Wii to date. The game play and level design has just enough nostalgia to give you that warm feeling inside but yet so much new content that you don’t get that, been there done that feeling. One great new addition is the jetpack that Diddy Kong wears. Although this time around you don’t get to control Diddy, he sits on DK’s back and if you’re faced with a long jump you can use his jetpacks for that extra boost across. On that note I would like to point out that this game is not an easy game by any means, don’t get me wrong it’s no Demon Soul’s but this game will make you want to throw your controller out the window. The game does however include the “auto play” feature to help the, lesser experienced, players through the game. I however could not bring myself to ask for the games help, just the thought of it made me feel like a girly-man. In all seriousness though, the difficulty was very welcomed and the only real complaint here is the same problem I have with New Super Mario Bros. Wii, that you can NOT use the classic controller to play. This is because there are a few other new moves to DK’s arsenal that involve shaking the controller and that are completely pointless. Well not completely but I would’ve chosen to use the classic controller over having the new moves any day.  All in all though, it was a pretty great game and I definitely recommend picking it up because it will give you hours upon hours of great platforming fun with a little DK charm thrown in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment