SPOILER ALERT!! Just in case I start to ramble and don't realize I just spoiled something that I didn't mean too.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mortal Kombat Review

If there’s one thing about this game that I haven’t heard people bring up, it’s reboot. That’s right all the crazy storylines about Raiden sending messages back and everything is just a way for them to justify a reboot of the series. I’m not mad that they went this route, as a long time MK player I know the “lore” and how all the events went down and seeing them tweaked is pretty cool. It only helps that the game plays so well. They made the switch back to the 2D realm of fighting, I blame Capcom for this, but it works. Awesome combos, air juggling, special moves, fatalities, babalities, tag matches, and limbless matches. This game really does it all, and it does it better than ever. The klassic (You see what I did there.) Ladder arcade mode is back and full of four arm bosses and hammer wielding chumps, yea I’m looking at you Shao Khan. The story mode is were the real fun in single player takes place. It retells the story of the first three MK games and throughout the story you play as many different characters and experience there side of what happened. The Krypt also makes it return in this game, although it’s return isn’t as triumphant as the rest of the game. The lack of un lockable characters kind of killed the experience for me. I mean unlocking concept art and what not is cool and all, but not something I’m going to spend hours trying to get, like I did in MK5. Where this game truly shines at though is in the online multiplayer. I would just like to add in that if you plan on picking this game up be warned that you need a, I think they call it a Kombat pass or something like that, anyways it’s that stupid code you have to put in to play online to prevent you from buying used. The King of the Hill mode is so much fun with a group of people, especially your friends. Basically it’s two people fighting while everyone else watches the match and once the match is over the loser goes “to the back of the line” and watches the next person try and beat the winner and so on. It really is a lot of fun and makes me think back to playing the original MK in my room with all my friends. A key part to the game play of MK and an interesting thing to see how other people use it, is the Super Gauge. It’s pretty much just Street Fighters Hyper meter or whatever it’s called, only with much more brutality and x ray vision. It also breaks down into two other parts, so that if you’re in a bad spot you can bust out a combo breaker or “enhance” your special attacks, such as shooting to two fire balls instead of one. In closing, even with it’s faults MK is a great ride full of blood, guts, and is a must play for anyone who has ever enjoyed any of the other games in the series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment