SPOILER ALERT!! Just in case I start to ramble and don't realize I just spoiled something that I didn't mean too.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Hunter, Prey Review

Oh and I have to mention the way the aliens in this movie talk. I don’t know if it was their masks or fake teeth or what it was, but when they talk it sounds like they have mouth guards in their mouths. All of their speech is slurred and it’s just really annoying. Five minutes into the movie and I already wanted to punch the costume designer and director for letting that slide through.

Confused? Yea I thought so. That’s how ‘Hunter, Prey’ starts off. It just throws you right into the movie and it feels like you missed the first few minutes were the movie would’ve been set up. The story here is fairly generic though. A space ship carrying a high risk prisoner crash lands, thus allowing the prisoner to escape onto the unknown world and the soldiers have to find and capture him. Pretty basic stuff that can be good if done right, just look at ‘Pitch Black’.

Something about this movie that really bothered me was the way that it seemed like they were trying to tell you who you were supposed to be rooting for. About halfway through the movie it turns into something like ‘The Prestige’ were you have two characters that you kind of know and they are competing against each other. Naturally you will lean one way or the other but were this movie fails is that they try to hard to persuade you in the direction they want by completely changing the established characters. This is particularly noticeable with one character who, in almost every scene he’s in, switches from being a planet saving army Lt. into “Mr. I don’t give a shit about my planet”. At one point he even switches between sides mid conversation and goes back on what he was just saying. That made it fairly easy for me to choose the side to root for, plus the trader is one I was referring to that sounded like he was speaking with a mouth guard in his mouth. Yea that guy never stood a chance.

On a more positive note about this movie, I will say that the writers did a great job of creating a universe that I want to see more of. You don’t learn all that much about it, but the tidbits of info you do get, just make you want more. You hear things throughout the movie about planetary genocide, different planets allying and going to war, and for once the human race is kind of badass without needing any kind of magical powers.

All in all, this movie is definitely worth a watch if you’re into cheap and cheesy sci-fi movies. Just don’t go into the movie expecting anything great and I’m sure you’ll come out of it satisfied. And for everyone else whose not a sci-fi geek, skip it and don’t look back cause you’re not missing anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment